Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Too Unusual?

Over the years that I've followed and been involved in politics I have supported more losers than winners. I sometimes even support losers to other losers. I think it's because I'm so conservative. These days I do not even readily identify myself as a Republican, because I am first a conservative. I have heard, and seen time and again that "electability" is the most important "quality" in a candidate. And I've sometimes even fallen for it, but the last few years have really made me look twice about supporting a candidate just because he or she can win and has the "right"party label. I'm tired of winners that compromise because they are worried about getting re-elected. I am approaching this election from a different view point, and I've been following this presidential race since the last one. I am no longer willing to support a candidate just because they win my party's nomination. I will not be forced into voting for a RINO (Republican In Name Only) just for the sake of defeating a Democrat, under the guise of choosing "the lesser of two evils." Having Republicans in Washington means nothing if they are not also conservatives. Real ones. It is better to have a liberal Democrat in the White House than a liberal Republican. My theory is that a Democrat in the White House forces the Republicans in the Congress (Senate and House of Representatives) to become more conservative. They may not do it because they are conservative so much as on the principle of simple opposition to the other party. But a liberal Republican is harder to stop because some Republicans in Congress will support anything labeled "Republican" for the sake of appearing unified with their party. This election, candidates from both major parties are emphasizing the word "change." I agree, it is time for change, but whose?

No comments: