Friday, January 18, 2008

Disappointments are real

As much as I get interested in and excited about politics, I try to approach it from a realist perspective. Candidates for public office are also humans and no human being is perfect. Sometimes we set our expectations on a candidate that they are going to fulfill everything we dream of in a public servant, but this attitude toward any candidate will doom us to disappointment. Nobody can fulfill everyone's expectations. In the few cases where somebody I voted for got elected, I can only recall one in whom I wasn't disappointed. This post may seem contradictory to one I wrote earlier about the electability of a candidate, but that's not what I'm referring to in this post. Realizing the limitations of any one candidate, but choosing the one with the best ideas and track-record is important. While I have narrowed the presidential field down to several possibilities I could vote for, I have not yet jumped whole-heartedly on any band-wagon, and there are several candidates for whom I will not vote on principle.

No comments: