Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Thompson and Paul

I think Fred Thompson needs to drop out. Although I personally have nothing against him especially, I think he is splitting the more conservative section of republican voters. His supporters, roughly 9 percent of those being polled, could choose another candidate. Now, 9 percent normally doesn't sound like much, but in this close race, it matters. Nine percent could change the leader in the race if they all chose the same candidate, but they probably would split their votes among several of the other leaders.

Why am I not saying the same thing about Ron Paul who is drawing about 4 percent in the polls? Yes, 4 percent could also make a difference in this nomination, but in his case, I think it's different. You see, Ron Paul doesn't change the results for any other candidate because his supporters, from what I know of them, (and I know a few) don't have a "second" choice candidate in the republican primary. If Ron Paul doesn't get the nomination, they walk away from the republican party and either don't vote in the presidential election or they vote third party; most likely the constitution party.

No comments: